Friday, November 06, 2015

Project: OZ-13MS Gundam Epyon Part 6

So today I'm talking about fabrication. One of the major features of the Gundam Epyon is its ability to transform from mobile suit mode:
OZ-13MS Gundam Epyon in mobile suit mode
 to a twin-headed dragon style mobile armor:
OZ-13MS Gundam Epyon in mobile armor mode
This gimmick is carried over to the model itself and is managed by way a splitting hip/waist assembly. As far a gimmick trick it's a nice setup, but for my purposes it creates some issues. Specifically the risk of the hinge joint causing the electrical connections to be broken after assembly of the model. So I had to address this by either gluing the hinge shut or reinforcing it. I elected to do both: 
the front section of the hip/waist assembly for the OZ-13MS Gundam Epyon before I installed additional bracing and reinforcing.

the front section of the hip/waist assembly for the OZ-13MS Gundam Epyon with a section of styrene inserted to help reinforce the section so it won't move.
I used a series of styrene tubing I built up a central section that would pass up through the assembly, and then glued a section of 1/4" styrene block into the space behind it. This combination provided a solid base to firmly attach everything together and effectively remove the entire transformation mechanism.


the front section of the hip/waist assembly for the OZ-13MS Gundam Epyon now firmly cemented shut.

the front section of the hip/waist assembly for the OZ-13MS Gundam Epyon now firmly cemented shut.
There were 2 other sections that I chose to make non-moving, the elbow joints. See in the standard model the elbows are made by joining 2 pvc joint pieces so that it will have a 2 axis range of movement. While this is nice, it doesn't help for this project. So I went to work building replacement joints that would be glued into place.

 I started with segments of 1/4" styrene blocks and drilled out holes to accommodate the mounting pegs of the fore arms. I then passed segments of tubing through the upper portion of the blocks that would match the mounting holes in the upper arm. I added some groove slats to the back side of the sections to add some visual detail. With the parts glued in place, some paint finished the fabrication.


0 comments:

Post a Comment