Saturday, March 01, 2014

The Death Watch assemble

So I've got the infantry members of the Death Watch like 95% complete. I can do more work on the paint jobs, highlighting and picking out details, but as far as table top worthy go they are such.
a squad of Death Watch marines made up of one Ultramarine trooper, one Iron hands Marine, one Dark Angel marine, one Aurora Chapter Marine, one imperial fist marines, one blood angel marine, one space wolf marine, one crimson fist marine, one Black Templar marine, and an ultramarines sergent
The first Death Watch Squad
a squad of Death Watch marines made up of one Iron hands Marine, one Dark Angel marine, one Aurora Chapter Marine, one imperial fist marines, one blood angel marine, one space wolf marine, one crimson fist marine, one Black Templar marine, a Black Shield marine armed with a heavy bolter, and an ultramarines sergent
The Second Death Watch Squad

A converted Pedro Kantor serves as the Death Watch Captain
The Death Watch Captain
I tried to build each marine to be diverse and different but still part of a unit. That's the big appeal of the Death Watch RPG game. You might have a Dark Angels Marine playing alongside a Space Wolves Marine along side an Iron Hands Iron Father being commanded by an Ultramarine. But they are still a unit. So there are lots of little conversions like the addition of a strap to some bolters, or the use of pieces to give some marines the Marksmans honour. I did something with the paints to mark out each squad. Can you see what it is?

I have decided to expand the force by adding a Dreadnought and probably 2 rhinos. The Dreadnought I've been working on by dipping through my bitz boxes. It sometimes shocks me when I manage to find nearly complete kits in there.

The converted Death watch dreadnought mounted on the base.
The Dreadnought thus far.
I've followed a similar approach to building the dreadnought with what I did for the infantry, subtle conversions to change the model but not re-design it to be something else. In this case I wanted to give the dread some dynamism and reposed the legs to better adjust to the terrain of the base. It's a bit difficult to see from the front the conversion work on the legs, so here's a different angle of the model:
A side on view of the dread on the base

The base by the way is from Dragon Forge Design's Ancient Ruins series. If you're looking for super high quality bases with fantastic detail I would recommend you check out his sight. I have never been disappointed by his bases.

The Dreadnought is going to be the Dreadnought version of Brother Quintus. Yeah, remember him from way back when? So in order to carry the story of Brother Quintus forward I'm going to arm the Dreadnought with a heavy bolter and explain it as being master crafted so I can play it as being twin-linked. If my opponent raises an issue with Dreads not being able to take Heavy bolters out of the current regular codexes, fine. I'll let it count as an assault cannon.


1 comment: